Immigration Advising

We Are Here to Help

We are ready to answer any questions you might have about your legal status in the United States. Kirkwood’s international student advisor is available to assist you. Here are some important items to remember regarding your immigration status requirements.

Items to Remember

New international students are required to report to the Global Learning office, room 1154 Linn Hall, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Please bring your passport, form I-20, and form I-94 when you come to the office. U.S. Customs and Border Protection use the automated version of form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. Travelers entering U.S. ports of entry will be given information on how to access their electronic form I-94 Students should go to this website and print out their I-94.

If you have difficulties printing your I-94 information, contact Shannon Ingleby, International Student Advisor in the Global Learning office, 1154 Linn Hall. In addition, all new F1 visa students must have a TB test given at the Campus Health office before beginning their registration.

F1 visa students must register for a minimum of 12 credit hours in both the fall and spring semesters. Summer is optional except for new F1 visa students who were issued form I-20 to begin in the summer. A minimum of nine credit hours is considered full-time in the summer. Online classes: F1 visa students can only register for one Online or WebLive class in both the fall and spring semester.

If you are traveling home with the intent to return to continue your studies at Kirkwood Community College, make sure your travel documents are valid and signed as needed. Be sure your form I-20 is signed by the international student advisor two weeks before your departure date.

International students are allowed to work on campus with the appropriate permission from the international student advisor. If you have a job offer on campus, come talk to the international student advisor about how to get a Social Security number and begin working.

If you intend to drive in the U.S., you should apply for a U.S. driver’s license as soon as possible. Visit the Cedar Rapids driver’s license office or the Iowa City driver’s license office to get started.

When you complete your degree program at Kirkwood, you are then eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) through the International Programs office. For additional information regarding OPT, please call or stop in the International Programs office.

There is valuable information on your consul’s website that may help make your time living abroad safe, educational, and a lifetime experience.

All non-resident F1 visa holders are required to file both 1040NR and the 8843 forms. Even if you did not earn any wages, these forms still must be completed. Download and print the 1040NR form and the 8843 form.

If you need help filing your taxes, please contact a tax preparer specialist such as H&R Block or check the Yellow Pages.

If you should have any questions, please call Shannon Ingleby at 319-398-5293 or stop by room 1154 Linn Hall for any assistance regarding these forms.

Global Learning
1154 Linn Hall