Housing FAQ

Housing FAQ

Find answers to common questions about living in near-campus apartments. 

If you still have questions, reach out! Even though Kirkwood doesn't operate housing, our student life advisors are happy to help you find the right living solution for your time in college. Call us at 319-398-7647.

General Questions

No, Kirkwood students live in privately-owned apartments near campus. On the Cedar Rapids main campus, Kirkwood works closely with complexes located within 1 1/2 miles of campus.

These complexes have room for about 3,500 students to live comfortably in their own room and have the luxury of a living room and kitchen area. Kirkwood's Student Life and Housing Office is available to help prospective students and parents with the process. Housing is separate from the college so students will be applying directly with the specific apartment complex of interest.

Check out the Apartment Complex Map that shows which complexes are within walking distance. You can also see the Cedar Rapids Transit bus route that can get you from your apartment to classes. As a Kirkwood student, you can ride Cedar Rapids Transit Buses for FREE. '

Just show your active EagleCard for free access to all bus routes at any time of day. The Cedar Rapids Transit Bus has convenient stops across campus, including at nearby apartments, and at least hourly pick-ups throughout the day.

Most apartment complexes hire security to be on the premesis on nights and weekends. Check with your landlord/manager to see how to contact the property's security and make sure to program this number in your cell phone or write it down and have it handy at your apartment in case of emergencies.

There are a few options available. One is to contact Iowa Legal Aid. If you can't find what you're looking for, contact us at the Student Life office.

Kirkwood also offers free legal advice through a local attorney's office. Call 319-398-5578 to learn more. 

Applying for Housing

Apply for an apartment/house when you are 100% sure that you will be attending Kirkwood. At the time that you apply you will be paying an application fee and a security deposit to reserve your spot. This application fee is non-refundable and the deposit is most likely not going to be a full refund if you decide not to attend.

But, when you know you're going to be attending, make sure to get it in and reserve your spot before that complex fills! Spring break is usually a good indicator on when to start thinking about housing options if you haven't already. If it is past that time, no worries, we will not run out of housing, the options just may be limited the closer it gets to classes beginning.

Only turn in one application directly to the specific apartment you are interested in. Do not fill out multiple applications - only to the apartment that is your first choice. At the time of application you will pay a deposit and application fee.

Yes, most complexes around campus require students under the age of 25 to have a co-signer/guarantor to sign a lease. Most students have a family member as their guarantor on the apartment.

If you're unable to have a co-signer it may be possible to work with the management on other payment options like an extra deposit or paying in full.

Yes, complexes around Kirkwood run a credit check on the guarantor and a background check on the applicant.

Yes, complexes around Kirkwood do charge an application fee as the management runs a credit check on the guarantor and a background check on the student applicant. The management staff has to pay for these services to be done. This is a non-refundable charge and usually $25.

Questions about Apartment Living

The complexes that Kirkwood currently works with to house Kirkwood students have availability in one, two, three, and four bedrooms.

The apartment complexes near campus come unfurnished with the exception of the main appliances including a refrigerator, stove/oven, and sometimes a dishwasher and microwave. Students are responsible for bringing items for their bedrooms and sharing furnishing responsibilities with roommates in the living room, kitchen and bathroom.

Yes, most complexes, but not all, do allow students to live with someone of the opposite sex. There are many situations where this can be a benefit for the students but most of the time it's more of a distraction.

Your landlord will never assume you want to live with someone of the opposite sex and will not match you with a roommate of the opposite sex unless you've specifically requested that roommate. Keep in mind that your co-signer/guarantor will have to approve this living situation as well as the other student.

If you don't get along with your roommate, try to work it out. The best advice is to communicate with each other on the issues at hand and talk about how to resolve them. There are many resources for you and your roommate like your Resident Manager/Assistant (if you have one), the management staff in the office, counselors on campus in Student Development, and, of course, in the Housing office.

If you still don't get along with your roommate, it's not easy to switch. Most complexes will tell you to stick it out for at least 60 days. This way you will have the time and opportunity to work out your issues and may become at least livable with each other.

Questions about Rent & Leases

Rent is paid at the first of the month to your landlord. Some complexes have offices right on the property and you're able to walk over and hand in your rent; or if it's outside office hours, you can put it in a drop box. You may have to mail your rent to the office if it's not located on the property. If the first of the month falls on a weekend, students are expected to pay rent the Friday before the first of the month.

Each complex sets their own prices for rent each month. These prices can be compared on the Price Comparison page. Keep in mind these prices are subject to change without notice so make sure to check the price before you turn in an application.

Kirkwood Students are able to use their Financial Aid refund checks for living and all other student-related expenses, including rent. Refund checks are mailed approximately two weeks after classes begin. (For new, first semester college students, your loan check is held for 30 days after classes start.)

The checks are issued by Kirkwood Community College and mailed to the address on file. Be sure to keep it current! To check on a disbursement, log in to MyHub. Remember, if you have a hold on your account, your refund will not be issued until it is resolved.

The most obvious difference is the lease length. Most 10-month leases start in August and end at the end of May. Not all complexes offer the 10-month lease option, most only offer a 12-month lease starting in August and ending in July. When applying pay close attention to the move in and move out dates as some leases are not a true 12-months.

The second difference may be price, generally the 10-month leases are more per month and the 12-month leases are less to pay each month but for a longer term. Some complexes may not have any price difference between the two lease terms and others may be close to one month's rent.

If you're trying to decide between a 10- and 12-month lease option, consider a few things: will you be taking summer classes? Are you planning on attending Kirkwood for two years; it may be beneficial for you to continue your lease out of the same apartment and not move between years. And finally, how much rent can you afford each month? Most 12-month rent prices are more affordable when paying month to month.

Unfortunately, no. All of the complexes offer a 10- or 12-month lease option. Students are able to sublease their apartment to another student that may be moving in and attending Kirkwood.

Students wishing to find a place to live could always check with the sublease listings on the Kirkwood Housing webpage to help another student out and possibly find a good deal on an apartment.

If you are looking to move into an apartment just for the summer you can sublease from someone if there are available options depending on the apartment complex. Check out sublease options to learn more.

Once you find someone to sublease from, contact them and the apartment complex specifically, in order to fill out the proper paperwork. If you are looking to move out of your apartment for the summer you may sublease your apartment by posting on the Subleasing page. Make sure that you notify your apartment complex that you are subleasing your apartment for the summer.

Liability and risk are the main differences between the individual and joint leases. Joint leases are more risky and individual leases are less risky. All of the apartment complexes offer individual leases, there are only a couple that allow the joint lease option.

Joint Lease is the classic lease most people are familiar with. In a joint lease, everybody is fully responsible for lease charges. This means that even if you paid rent on time, you still would owe if a roommate failed to pay. This is the best option if you are positive that your roommates are able and willing to fulfill their rent obligations.

Individual leases separate the bedroom and rent charges so that the only joint liability is for common area charges. The common areas are defined in the individual lease document. This is the best option if you do not know your roommates or do not want to run the risk of having to pay somebody else's rent.

Student Housing
3rd Floor Iowa Hall