You’re moving along in life and then BAM!, something happens that gets you off track. Maybe it’s problems at home. Maybe it’s a relationship that turned bad. Maybe you just don’t have enough money to pay for school and books and child care. Whatever it is, there’s a way to a way to get back on track. It’s called Project START.
Project START (Supported Training and Retraining) offers academic, personal and financial help so you can get your degree, get out there and get a great job. Here’s how:
- Learn how to improve your study skills and score higher on tests.
- Talk with your START counselor about how classes are going and how you can do even better.
- Talk with your START counselor about what’s bothering you and figure out – together – how to work through it.
- Get the encouragement you need to keep moving forward.
- Get the money you need for tuition, books, transportation, childcare and other school-related expenses.
- Find other money to help you go to school and stay in school.
To be part of Project START, you must:
- have a high school diploma or GED
- meet Federal guidelines for PELL grant
- not have a Bachelors degree
- be a U.S. citizen or national
- be enrolled in a vocational program
- be up-to-date on your student loan payments, if you have a loan
- have and maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher each semester to start and continue in the program
- turn in a weekly attendance sheet signed by your instructors
If you meet these requirements and want an application, click here to print an application or come to the START office in 2092 Cedar Hall on the main campus in Cedar Rapids. You can also reach us at 319-398-4506 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens after you fill out and return the application?
- You meet with a START counselor.
- You talk with the counselor about what’s going on in your life and how Project START could benefit you.
- The counselor writes a summary of what you talk about and gives it to the selection committee.
If you’re accepted, you begin the program the very next semester.
Project START Budget Meetings
To schedule a budget meeting contact the Dean of Students office at 398-5540.