Iowa City Learning Center

Iowa City Learning Center

The Learning Center offers High School Completion programs, English as a Second Language and Adult Basic Education. No matter where you are in your education journey, we can help you reach the next step.

We also offer computer classes on subjects including: 

  • Microsoft Office
  • Using the Internet
  • Web development, and more! 

Learning Center Services

Adult Basic Education

Adult Basic Education (ABE) provides FREE instruction to help adults increase self-sufficiency, improve employability, prepare for continued learning and better meet their responsibilities.

Instruction is designed for adults whose competence in reading, writing and computation is below 9th grade level. Basic academics and life skills are presented in the context of situations encountered by adults in everyday life and work. Classes are provided at no charge.

Adult Literacy

Our Adult Literacy programming recruits volunteers, trains them in literacy teaching techniques and matches them with adults wanting instruction in reading skills development. Computer assisted instruction and materials that emphasize life skill competencies are also available. Adult literacy services are free for students. 

Our FREE English as a Second Language (non-credit) classes go far beyond simple practice. Students learn how to speak, read, and write in English as well as getting instruction on American culture and resources that are available in the local community.  

High School Diploma

Adults, 16 years and nine months of age or older, who have not completed their high school education may be eligible to earn a diploma through Kirkwood’s Adult High School Completion program. The Iowa City Learning Center offers more than 40 self-directed courses.

High School Equivalency Diploma

We also offer preparation and testing for a high school equivalency diploma. We can help you prepare in the areas of writing skills, social studies, science, reading, and mathematics.

High School Completion FAQs

The Kirkwood adult diploma is issued by Kirkwood Community College, based on earning 54 quarter credits. We accredit all previous high school credit, but we will need a copy of your high school records. We can tell you how to obtain those records. 

The diploma is based on earning credits by taking courses. The HSED diploma is issued by the State of Iowa and is based on passing the HiSET test. We need to discuss with you specifically what your goals are—to help determine which option is right for you. 

No, but we do like you to attend on a regular basis. That could be every day, every other day, etc. We would ask that you make a commitment to yourself and to us for a regular schedule.

The cost of an Adult High School Diploma will vary by each individual student. Students have three months from the date of registration to complete a course. Courses requiring the use of a textbook have an additional $60 book deposit fee if students wish to use the textbook outside the learning center.

The cost of the High School Equivalency Diploma is $53.75 for the official HSED testing fee. There is a $30 refundable book deposit fee if you choose to take a book home.

We serve many students of all age levels from 16 and nine months to 90 years old. Many older students do extremely well when they come back to school. Age is no barrier and you will fit in just fine. (Some of our teachers are "older" too!)

We operate an ADULT high school. We treat you as an adult and would expect that you take the responsibilities of an adult.

No. We do require a class in Government. In addition, at least two courses must be Kirkwood courses to obtain your diploma, even though you may transfer in many previous courses. We will work with you to select courses that we think you should take in line with your goals.

Individuals of school age should be referred by their local school district. You should visit with the counselor or principal of the last school you attended. Adults, whose original class has graduated, are welcome to enroll at any time.

The Kirkwood program operates continuously year-round. You may start in the high school completion program at any time. Likewise, individuals finish at different times during the year. Normally, your diploma will be issued shortly after you finish your coursework and have earned sufficient credits.

First, many of our materials are written and published by companies that specialize in materials specifically for adults. They know the needs of the adult learner. In addition, we are adding more computerized materials, which will be of great benefit for all students who need additional individualized help or remedial work. Finally, we also have volunteer tutors who are willing to work one-on-one with students who need help.

If you have questions that aren't covered here, feel free to contact the Learning Center directly. 

Contact Us

1810 Lower Muscatine Road
Iowa City, IA 52240

Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Friday: Closed

By Phone

Fax: (319) 887-3657