Skip to main content




Is campus closed?
No. Online learning will continue as previously mentioned. Please note even though all Kirkwood buildings/locations will be closed until June 1 as employees work remotely off campus, most student services will be available by email or phone.
What are you doing to protect areas on campus that will still be highly-used such as the computer lab?
When on-campus access resumes, the Kirkwood custodial staff will continue to implement new changes to enhance cleaning and disinfecting spaces around campus, especially those locations that may experience higher use. 

Why is Kirkwood doing this?
This measure will allow the college to decrease the number of students on campus, and in doing so will reduce the risk of exposure to the Kirkwood community. Administration will continue to monitor the outbreak with the latest information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH), and local health officials. If the spread of the virus worsens, Kirkwood may implement additional safety measures as needed. 

How does this impact Continuing Education classes?
  • All currently scheduled face-to-face Continuing Education classes will be cancelled through July 5.
  • Some of these face-to-face classes may be transitioned to an online format or rescheduled to a later date; you will contacted by our staff should this occur.
  • All originally scheduled online classes will continue to be held as normal.
I don't have reliable internet access at home. How do I complete my online coursework?
Broadband and telephone service providers around the country, including Verizon, US Cellular, Mediacom, and CenturyLink, have agreed to the FCC’s Keep Americans Connected Pledge which includes opening their WiFi hotspots to any American who needs them through mid-May.

Students are encouraged to contact their cell phone provider for information on receiving hotspot access, as well as other promotions that may be available to help them gain necessary online access during this time.
That being said, if you are unable to complete coursework online, please communicate this directly with your instructors and/or advisor. We will do our best to support your individual needs.

What kind of additional tech support is available to me?
The Student Help Desk will be available to students and can be reached at or 319-398-7624.

What student services will be open/available during this period?
Most student services will be available by email and phone. All campus buildings/locations will reopen once it is deemed safe to do so, including the library, computer labs, rec center, and more. 

I don’t know how to post things to Talon. What should I do?
Log into Talon using your username and password. Click “Welcome to Talon” and select “Assignments”, then “Using the Assignments Tool” for a tutorial.

[For classes that require speeches to be recorded] My computer doesn’t have a mic or camera. What should I do?
Talk to your instructor to explore your options for completing the assignment.

How will I do testing in my course? Will the testing center be open?
Your individual instructors can provide details on your testing options.

What do students studying in health fields do if they still need clinical hours to get certified?
For students studying in health fields, make sure to discuss your clinical hours with your instructor or academic department.

I’m scheduled to travel out of state. How will this affect my ability to complete my classes or meet degree requirements?
Talk to your instructor to see if your travel will impact your plan of study. For students studying in health fields, make sure to discuss your travel plans with your instructor or academic department.

I am a student employee. Am I allowed to work during the online instruction period?
Student workers should discuss with their supervisor their plans during the online instruction period. 

Have any events on campus been canceled?
Kirkwood’s internal events have been cancelled through at least June 1. Events hosted by external entities are cancelled through at least June 1.

Will I still be able to register for classes?
Yes. Advisors have plans in place to continue to meet with students virtually. Contact your advisor to discuss registration options. If you are a Liberal Arts student, please contact the Advising and Transfer Center.


Where can I go for help if I am concerned about the impact that the disease has on myself or others?
Kirkwood encourages students who might benefit from receiving information and referral to contact the Dean of Students office at 319-398-5540 for on-campus and community support.

What precautions can I take to prevent COVID-19, influenza or other illnesses?
Iowa Department of Public Health recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including: 
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and dry hands thoroughly. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and water are not available.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Stay home when you are sick. 
    • Cover your mouth with your upper arm or tissue when coughing or sneezing.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
What if I miss class?
Students who miss class due to illness are encouraged to contact their instructors as soon as possible, to notify them of their illness, and to determine how best to make up class time and assignments. 

What do I need to know about travel not sponsored by the college? 
Kirkwood strongly recommends that everyone follow the travel advisories from both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. State Department. Please note many countries are implementing travel restrictions. Travelers should carefully consider these restrictions as it may cause delays, mandatory quarantines, or denied entry into a country. 

I recently traveled to a country impacted by COVID-19. Do I need to let the college know?
Following the protocol of the CDC, if you still choose to travel to a high-risk country (Level 3), you will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days from the time you return. Should this be the case, please notify the college using Kirkwood’s COVID-19 exposure hotline at (319)-784-1650. Separately, you will also need to inform your instructors of your situation.