Apply by February 5, 2016 to be a Peer Leader! Click to apply now!
Orientation programs facilitate the successful transition of new students to Kirkwood Community College. We help prepare students for their academic experience, promote student involvement and engagement, and provide information about student services and academic resources.
Primary Duties for Staff Members
- Participate in required training sessions prior to orientation sessions.
- Assist in implementation of all orientation sessions for first year students.
- Represent Kirkwood Community College in a positive manner, promoting a welcoming and inclusive environment for new students and guests.
- Share information with students and guests regarding college policies, procedures, course registration, academics expectations, campus life and services.
- Participate in various preparations and follow up for all orientation sessions.
- Staff all aspects of orientation programs, including check-in, presentations, peer advising, registration, staff meetings and other duties as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Currently enrolled Kirkwood Community College student.
- Positive attitude regarding the college and motivation to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Strong communication and group facilitation skills.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of application.
- Completed application and reference letter.
- Participation in 3-4 training sessions.
- Part-time employment during all orientation sessions.
- Average weekly schedule will include 2-3 eight hour days per week. Schedule will be available prior to acceptance of employment.
- Staff may accept other employment. Outside employment must not conflict with orientation responsibilities.
- Staff may enroll in summer courses with approval from the Orientation Coordinator.
Application Process Click here to apply!
- Submit completed online application by February 5, 2016.
- Students selected for personal interview will be notified by February 12, 2016.
- Selection of orientation staff will be announced by March 11, 2016.
For additional information contact Shelley Milks, orientation coordinator, Dean of Students Office, 108 Iowa Hall, 319-398-4906, firstname.lastname@example.org.