Kirkwood Community College has established a Threat Assessment Team to ensure we provide the safest possible environment for our students, faculty, staff, and other community members. This team includes individuals from a variety of disciplines. The Threat Assessment Team will be working in conjunction with student, faculty, and staff as well as many other resources within the Kirkwood community. The responsibility of the team includes responding to reported concerns and developing assessment and prevention programming.
The Threat Assessment Team serves as a point of contact for students, faculty, staff, and other members of the community who are aware of, or are experiencing threatening or potentially threatening behavior. The team will gather factual information, review, and investigate individual concerns brought to the attention of the team; and will facilitate a timely and reasonable response.
The following are some of the “red flag” indicators a person might notice:
· Harassing, threatening, or stalking behavior
· Contact (letter, e-mail, phone call, voicemail, or face to face visit) that makes a hostile reference to faculty, staff, student, or other Kirkwood community members
· Open displays of agitation and disruptive behavior toward faculty, staff, student or within Kirkwood, regardless of whether a threat is made
· Preoccupation/fascination with violence or previous incidents of violence
· Unsolicited comments about firearms or other dangerous weapons
· Makes statements of intent to harm self or others
· Makes reference to committing a violent act
If you experience troubling or threatening behavior/inappropriate communications or if you become aware of the same, during normal business hours, contact team members Melissa Jensen-Director, Emergency Services & Campus Security, ph. 398-5491, firstname.lastname@example.org
, Jon Buse - Vice President Student Services, ph. 398-4977, email@example.com
, or Melissa Payne - Dean of Students, ph. 319398-5584, firstname.lastname@example.org
. If the threat is immediate, call Campus Security 24/7 at 319-389-1774.