New Student Orientation
As a result of the impact of COVID-19, orientation will be offered online.
What this means:
- You’ll receive an email as your orientation date nears that will provide instruction on how to access your online orientation.
- Once you've completed online orientation, you’ll hear from your advisor who will help you register for courses.
In the meantime:
- You should continue to work through the next steps listed below as you are able. Please note, you’ll need to fulfill the placement process prior to completing orientation and registering for classes. Learn more about fulfilling the placement process below.
- Make sure you're able to log in to MyHub using your k-number (Kirkwood identification number) and password. While you're there, check that your contact information is up-to-date under "My Profile."
- Keep an eye on your Kirkwood student email. It's the primary way we'll be communicating with you. You can log into your student email in MyHub.
Please know this decision was made after careful consideration. Through virtual orientation, you’ll receive the same introduction to life as a Kirkwood student as you would have through an on-campus event, including connections to resources and services, the chance to hear from current students, access to academic advising, and class registration. Additionally, we’ll be offering on-campus events for new students as the start of the term nears. More information will be provided on those offerings soon.
We’re excited for you to start at Kirkwood and look forward to welcoming you to campus when we are again able to!
This is a guide for several of the things you should do in preparation for orientation and
registration. Keep in mind that this list is not all-inclusive, but it does organize a number of tasks that are required as you transition to Kirkwood. It is also important that you carefully read all materials you receive from Kirkwood.
Set up your Kirkwood account. If you haven't already, set up your Kirkwood account. You'll need your k-number (Kirkwood identification number) provided in your welcome letter.
Here's what you need to complete before orientation:
Fulfill the placement process. To be placed in the right classes for you, you'll need to fulfill the reading, writing, and math placement process. Please do that in one of the following ways:
Confirm your info in MyHub. Log into MyHub using the k-number and password you established when you set up your account. Click on "My Profile" to review and update the following:
- Submit qualifying ACT or SAT scores. Math scores are valid for two years. Reading and writing scores are valid for three years.
- Provide qualifying high school grade point average (GPA). Fulfills reading and writing placement only.
- Complete a free math placement test. Due to COVID-19, the ALEKS math placement assessment is now unproctored and available through MyHub. ALEKS is a required math assessment used to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses, and determine the most appropriate courses for each student. Note: the ALEKS assessment must be taken through Kirkwood. Get instructions on how to access the ALEKS assessment here.
- Provide qualifying college transcripts. Completing college-level writing and math fulfills the placement process.
College transcripts (if you've completed courses at another college or university) should be sent to Kirkwood One Stop Office, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404.
- Verify the accuracy of your program by clicking on "Programs."
- Review and update your personal information. Click on "Personal" to update your address, phone, and preferred name.
- If you submitted ACT or SAT scores, verify they were received. Click "Tests" to view test scores on file at Kirkwood. If you have not submitted your scores, you should contact ACT or the College Board directly to have your scores sent to the One Stop office.
- Check your Kirkwood email regularly. Kirkwood student email is the official method of communication between you and Kirkwood where you'll receive important information that you'll need. You can access your email account on the front page of MyHub.
If you have difficulty accessing MyHub, call the Kirkwood Student Help Desk at 319-398-7624 or call toll free at 800-634-6581.
If you wish to pay for classes using financial aid, make sure you have submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once you've submitted your FAFSA, you'll hear from us via email with your offer. You can check the status of your financial aid on MyHub by clicking on "My Profile" and "Billing and Payments." Students are strongly encouraged to complete direct deposit information. Look for the "Direct Deposit" link under “Account Balance” to sign up for direct deposit.
If you have any questions, email us or contact your academic department directly at the phone number provided below.
Make your reservation now.
What to have ready for orientation:
If applying for financial aid, you may need:
- Photo identification (required to obtain your EagleCard/Kirkwood student ID).
- Unofficial grade reports from any colleges you attended prior to Kirkwood.
- Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID and password for student and parent
- Student tax information for the FAFSA year in which you are applying
- Student personal information such as driver’s license and social security card
- Parent tax information for the FAFSA year in which you are applying
- Parent personal information such as date of birth, social security card, marital status date, etc.
Kirkwood Academic Departments