Alternative Credit

Alternative credit is college credit earned outside of Kirkwood course completion, transfer course completion, or credit by examination.

Download the Alternative Credit Request Form

  • Before you apply for alternative credit, contact the Alternative Credit Advisor for the department that owns the course you want credit for. You can find a list on page two of the Alternative Credit Application form
  • The Alternative Credit Advisor will submit your application, application fee, and supporting documents for approval.
  • Alternative credit requests cannot be made to replace a failing grade for a course previously attempted. You will be assessed an administrative charge of $25 per application.
  • If the application is approved and the outside work is not articulated Kirkwood Continuing Education coursework, a fee will be assessed equal to one half the current tuition for the credit course on the application.
  • Before applying for alternative credit, you should first meet with the alternative credit advisor for your department.
  • All forms, attachments, documentation and the application fee should be submitted by the alternative credit advisor to Student Services, 3rd floor Iowa Hall, for billing, processing and archival.
  • Alternative credit will be denoted on the student’s transcript as exam credit. The credit will not apply to the grade point average calculation.
  • If the student transfers to another institution, credits earned through this policy are subject to the receiving institution’s transfer credit policies and procedures. It is not guaranteed that all post-secondary institutions will recognize these credits.
  • If the Application is denied, the student will be notified in writing by the department coordinator or Dean. The Application and a copy of the denial letter must be submitted to the Records Evaluator for inclusion in the student’s academic record and archival. The student may appeal the decision to the Vice President Academic Affairs. The appeal must be made in writing and submitted within 10 business days of the denial.

Requirements for Alternative Credit

Consult with your advisor first. If the advisor recommends the student proceed, the student must submit the following:

It must be valid at the time of application. You must submit the following:

You must submit:

  • Application for Alternative Credit form
  • Portfolio, to include but not limited to: Assessment by the appropriate alternative credit advisor and lead faculty; a current resume; a job description that clearly defines duties and a letter from the employer verifying that the student has met the competencies of the course(s) requested.


If you have any questions, contact Enrollment Services:

Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phone: 319-398-7600 or 1-877-386-9101
Fax: 319-398-4928
Email: Enrollment -

FAFSA School Code: 004076

Location: 3rd Floor Iowa Hall

Mailing Address:

Kirkwood Community College
Enrollment Services
6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404