Sexual Assault

Preventing Sexual Assault

Kirkwood Community College educates the student community about sexual assault and date rape through a variety of means. These include, but are not limited to, College 101 classes, the Kirkwood intranet, and other programs.

Kirkwood also offers sexual assault education and information programs to Kirkwood, students, faculty, and staff upon request. These programs are provided through a partnership with local law enforcement agencies such as the Cedar Rapids Police Department, Dean of Students office, Campus Security, and other community resources.

Contact the Dean of Students office or Campus Security at 319-389-1774 for information on date rape and risk education, and Kirkwood's response. Additional information is also available through the Dean of Students’ office and Student Health. 

What to Do If You Are Sexually Assaulted

If you are the victim of a sexual assault off-campus, you should report the assault to the police department where the sexual assault occurred. If you are sexually assaulted on campus, your first priority should be to get to a place of safety. You should then report the assault to Campus Security at 319-389-1774

Calling the police or Campus Security does not commit you to pressing charges against the assailant. That choice can be made later. You need to obtain necessary medical treatment. Campus Security strongly advocates for anyone who experiences sexual assault to report the incident in a timely manner. Time is a critical factor for evidence collection and preservation.

Because it is important to preserve as much physical evidence as possible, do not bathe, douche, or change clothes. A trained volunteer will be provided through the healthcare facility or Waypoint Services to accompany you through the medical and legal procedures. There is no charge for these services.

Counseling services are available for anyone who is a victim of sexual abuse, assault, or any other traumatic experience. Students in all programs have access to counseling services, including those enrolled in evening classes and at Kirkwood centers. Students may stop by the Dean of Students office on the first floor of Iowa Hall or call 319-398-5471 to make an appointment with a counselor. In Iowa City, call 319-887-3658.

What Happens After the Sexual Assault

When a sexual assault victim contacts Campus Security, the person responsible for sex crime investigations will be contacted as well. A representative from Dean of Students office will also be notified. Calling the police or Campus Security does not commit you to pressing charges. You may choose for the investigation to be pursued through the criminal justice system and the Kirkwood discipline process, or only the latter. A Kirkwood representative from Campus Security or Dean of Students office will guide you through your options and support you through your decision.

Disciplinary proceedings, as well as special guidelines for cases involving sexual misconduct, are found in the Kirkwood Code of Conduct:

  • The accused and the victim will each be allowed to choose a person to accompany them through the hearing.
  • Both will be notified in writing of the outcome of the disciplinary proceeding. The outcome means only a final determination.
  • A student found guilty of violating Kirkwood's sexual misconduct policy may be suspended or expelled from Kirkwood for the first offense.

You have the option to change your academic situation after an alleged sexual assault if such changes are reasonably available. If appropriate, you may also request support or directions in changing living situations. Request this assistance from the Dean of Students office or Campus Security. 

What Do These Terms Mean?

Relationship Violence: Physically, sexually, and/or psychologically abusive behaviors used by one individual to maintain power and control over an intimate partner. Intimate partners may be dating, cohabitating, married, separated, or divorced. Relationship violence can occur in same or opposite sex relationships.

Sexual Violence: Any unwanted or non-consensual sexual act. Sexual violence can be committed by acquaintances, casual or long-term dating partners, spouses, or strangers. The use of alcohol by either party, in conjunction with an incident of sexual violence, does not mitigate responsibility or diminish the seriousness of the offense.

Consent: Clearly communicating agreement or permission to participate in sexual activity. The individuals consenting must act freely and voluntarily and have knowledge of the act involved. Such consent may be withdrawn at any time, without regard to the preceding activity. A current or previous relationship is not sufficient to constitute consent. Consent may not be inferred from silence or passivity.

Coercion: is the use of physical force, threat intimidation, or exploitation of a person's inability to understand the situation, understand the consequences of his/her choice, or to express his or her desires. This may include but is not limited to, intoxication, under the influence of drugs, unconsciousness, or being under the age of consent. 

Have questions? Visit Campus Security.

Kirkwood Public Safety