Steps to a Job Shadow
Is a job shadow right for you?
1. Find your area of interest.
Watch this WLC Job Shadow_Internship Video to find out. (click on this WLC Job Shadow_Internship Video if you cannot access YouTube)
Before you apply for a Job Shadow, look at the Job Shadow Career Choices List. This list contains the available Job Shadow careers and a description of EXPLORATION DAYS available for the current Job Shadow season. You can chose one Career Choice or EXPLORATION DAY to complete during the Fall/Winter, then reapply during our second round application period in November - early January to complete another experience late winter/early spring. Be aware there are deadline dates for each of these application periods.
If you are uncertain what career you may have an interest in, we suggest going to www.onetonline.org. You can do a career search on this site which may help you find an area of interest.
2. Fill out the application.
Job Shadow 2nd Semester Applications Available through the WLC portal starting November 30, 2015
To apply for a Job Shadow, you must use the Workplace Learning Connection's student portal.
Before applying, please be sure to review whether you should apply online as a New User or Returning User. There are directions on the Login Site to assist you. If you have any questions, you may contact the Workplace Learning Connection at 319-398-1040 or ask your school contact.
3. Preparing for your Job Shadow.
- Read all the information that is being sent to you in the U.S. Postal Mail.
- Transportation is your responsibility so take steps to make sure this is taken care of.
- Research the company’s website so you have an understanding of who they are and what they do.
- Prepare questions to ask your job shadow host.
- Make sure you are aware of appropriate dress code.
- Make note of location of job shadow so you can arrive on time.
4. Day of the Job Shadow.
- Arrive to your job shadow on time. Check paperwork that was sent to you for any special instructions regarding where to report and who your contact is. Use maps if they were sent to you and do not rely solely on GPS.
- Dress appropriately. Information regarding proper dress etiquette will be mailed with your paperwork.
- Introduce yourself with a smile and a firm handshake.
- Listen and observe.
- Ask questions. This is your opportunity to learn about this career.
- At the conclusion of your shadow be sure to thank your host for the time they have spent with you.
5. After your Job Shadow.
• Complete the online evaluation survey that is located on your online portal site. You will find this at the the bottom of your dashboard by your most recent placement listed. Click here to login to your account. We need to know how your experience was as we use your comments as a guide to continue improving our programs. Bonus: You’ll be entered in a drawing for prizes if you complete the evaluation.
• Send a thank you note to your job shadow host. You can complete your own or use the postcard that will be mailed with your confirmation packet. Feel free to send it directly to your host, or give it to your high school guidance department to send to WLC.