The Special Appeals Committee may consider an appeal to a Kirkwood refund or enrollment policy for situations that are beyond the student’s control
. There is no form to fill out. To make an appeal, the student must:
- Write a letter to the “Special Appeals Committee” that:
- Includes the student’s full name and K number
- Explains what happened that was beyond the student’s control
- Explains when it happened
- Describes what the student is asking Kirkwood to do
- Make copies of documents such as a doctor’s note that support the student’s claim, are detailed and include the date of the event
- A request for a tuition refund due to medical reasons must include a document that proves the medical condition has been treated or improved to the point where it will no longer prevent the student from completing future courses.
- Send the letter and copies of supporting documents to:
One Stop Office
202 Kirkwood Hall
Kirkwood Community College
6301 Kirkwood Blvd SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
Students with Financial Aid
Students who receive financial aid and withdraw from all classes may end up with a balance due even if an appeal is approved.
Federal regulations govern how much of the aid a student must pay back. The One Stop office makes this calculation after all classes are dropped. Any student considering dropping all classes should first speak with a financial aid representative in the One Stop Office, 202 Kirkwood Hall, to determine how it would affect their financial aid.
Committee Decisions are Final
The decision of the committee is the final decision of Kirkwood Community College. No further appeals will be considered.
Things to keep in mind
- Detailed supporting documentation must be submitted with the letter but it does not assure the request will be granted.
- Generally, a student will only have one appeal of policy approved. Only in extraordinary circumstances will another request be considered by the committee.
- Click here to login and see your course’s last day to drop and last day for a refund.
- Click here to see Kirkwood’s Tuition Refund Policy.