Career Services Home | Dean of Students | Kirkwood Jobs | Jobs 411 Videos | Career Services Guide
Sample Questions to Ask an Interviewer
- Can you tell me a little bit about your interview process? Is there just this one interview here today? Do strong candidates go onto a 2nd or 3rd interview?
- You’ve heard all about me, would you mind telling me a little about yourself?
- Describe what my responsibilities would be on this job?
- Is this a newly created job?
*If yes, what results are you hoping to see?
*If not, what is the last person who held this job doing now?
*If resign, why?
*If promoted, what contributed to his/her advancement?
- What do you consider to be the most difficult task on this job?
- How would I be trained for this position?
- What are the strengths of the department and what do you see for improvements in the department?
- Upon what criteria are employees in this department evaluated?
- What types of people succeed in your organization?
- What did you like most about the person who previously held this position?
- How will I get feedback on my job performance?
- Does your company believe in and support continuing education?
- What is your company’s policy on providing seminars, workshops and training so employees can develop their skills?
- What particular computer equipment and software do you use here? When was your last upgrade?
- Are your sales up or down over last year?
- Why do you enjoy working here?
- If you were to offer me the position, where could I expect to be 5 years from today?
- What are the department goals for the year?
- Could you describe your style of supervision?
- What is the company’s management style?
- What are the opportunities for advancement within this organization?
- (Formulate questions that show you've done your research.) For example; I've noticed your stock has increased by 5 % in the last quarter. To what do you attribute this success?
- Do you think I'll find this job to be challenging and stimulating?
- I want this position! Could I have a 30 day trial period to prove myself?
- What is a realistic time frame for advancement?
- How much travel is expected?
- Is relocation a possibility?
- How has your career progressed here? Are similar opportunities available today?
- Can you describe what a work week is like as a (fill in position you’re seeking) here?
- What is the length and structure of the training program?
- Does the position offer exposure to other facets of your organization?
- What other positions and/or departments will I interact with most?
- To whom does this position report?
- Are there any restraints or cutbacks planned that would decrease the budget here?
- What’s the makeup of the team as far as experience? Am I going to be a mentor or will I be mentored?
- What does this company value the most and how do you think my work for you will further these values?
- What kinds of processes are in place to help me work collaboratively?
- What can I bring to Company XYZ to round out the team?
- What’s the most important thing I can do to help within the first 90 days of my employment?
- Do you have any questions or concerns about my ability to perform this job?
- When top performers leave the company why do they leave and where do they usually go?
- What do you see in me? What are my strongest assets and possible weakness? Do you have any concerns that I need to clear up in order to be the top candidate?
- Could you describe to me your typical management style and the type of employee that works well with you?
- What are some examples of the achievements of others who have been in this position?
- How many people have held this job in the last five years? Where are they now?
- If this position is offered to me, why should I accept it?
- Where are your major concerns that need to be immediately addressed in this job?
- What do you see in my personality, work history or skill set that attracts you to me?
- How soon do you expect to make a decision?
- If I am offered the position, how soon will you need my response?
- May I see an organizational chart?
- What can you tell me about your new product or plans for growth?
- What is this company’s culture? (Ex: Is it rigid and formal or relaxed and flexible?)
- Describe the work environment?
- How much decision making authority is given to new employees?
- What makes your organization different from its competitors?
- Are there any other questions I can answer for you?
- When can I start?
- What is the next step that I need to do to be a part of your team?
- Have I said anything to lead you to believe that I would not be the best person for the job?
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
To talk with our career counselors, stop by 2092 Cedar Hall or call 319-398-5540.