MISSION/OBJECTIVES | INVOLVEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
CRITERIA FOR PARTICIPATING IN LSAMP AT KIRKWOOD
- The LSAMP-IINSPIRE mission is to develop a model for Midwest colleges and universities to attract the states’ growing underrepresented minority (URM) population into STEM fields and attract students from other regions to STEM education opportunities in Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska. This will be accomplished through the following strategies:
- Grow the pool of college-ready, STEM-prepared URM high school students.
- Increase the number of URM students who choose STEM at each IINSPIRE Alliance institution.
- Improve retention at all IINSPIRE Alliance institutions.
LSAMP-IINSPIRE Alliance objectives:
- Inform teachers, counselors, parents and students in Iowa, Nebraska and Illinois about the LSAMP-IINSPIRE Program
and increase their awareness about STEM careers.
- Engage current alliance students having interest and potential in STEM and increase their awareness about STEM
majors and careers.
- Collaborate with community-based recruiting models within the alliance.
- Leverage and create initiatives that assist students in their transitions from high schools to colleges and from community colleges to bachelor-granting institutions.
- Facilitate faculty collaboration across the alliance to share inclusive pedagogy and mentoring practices that lead to greater student success.
- Connect and support students with mentored research opportunities.
- Organize research training experiences for alliance students to earn a research certificate.
- Provide training and resources for mentors who supervise undergraduate research projects.
- Leverage institutional resources and partnerships, and use alliance and institutional data to implement effective programs based on institution-specific needs.
- Assess alliance-wide and institutional outcomes and use evaluation results to inform and improve practices.