Teacher as Designer Institute:
January 8 - 9, 2015 - 2077 Cedar Hall
“Teacher as designer” is a concept of faculty identity development is crucial to creating experiences that lead to student success. To quote Grant Wiggins, co-author of the book “Teacher as designer” is a concept of faculty identity development is crucial to creating experiences that lead to student success. To quote Grant Wiggins, co-author of the book Understanding by Design, “We think like a designer, not like a teacher, when we say: the teacher is just one element in the design. The choice of task, pedagogy, groupings, flow of work, resources, furniture, light, noise level, role of people and text - all of these design elements are arguably as important as the teacher.” This quote is in alignment with our two-day institute’s theme of Universal Design, which “is a set of principles for curriculum development that give all individuals equal opportunities to learn”. Dr. John Achrazoglou, Chief Technology Officer at the University of Iowa College of Education, will be the keynote speaker. He will share his expertise in assistive technologies and his experiences with helping university faculty and pre-service teachers integrate Universal Design into their curricula. In addition, Barbara Mussman, Disability Services Manager, and Amanda Thompson, Assistive Technology Specialist, will partcipate in this institute as co-faciliators. Participants are encouraged to bring their own device.
Faculty Learning Outcomes
Participants in the Teacher as Designer Institute will:
- Explain how Universal Design applies to their classroom and pedagogy
- Discuss the challenges to implementing Universal Design
- Share the benefits of implementing Universal Design in the classroom and throughout Kirkwood Community College
- Create learning solutions for at least one course using Universal Design
- Create learning solutions intergrating technology and Universal Design
Registration (Deadline: December 15, 2014)
To register, please follow these steps:
- Go to EagleNet by clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/KCELTregistration
- Copy this course code: CURINAS-TCHDSNR-TWJD1 , paste it in the form’s text box labeled Course Code Number, and press submit.
- You will receive a confirmation email once you have successfully registered.
Dr. John Achrazoglou, Chief Technology Officer at the University of Iowa College of Education
Co Facilitators (Learning Services)
Barbara Mussman, Disability Services Manager
Amanda Thompson, Assistive Technology Specialist
Click here to view the schedule
What to prepare
The Institute is intended to be a workshop experience. Please, review the information provide below.
- Preview Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education at http://udloncampus.cast.org/home This will be our main online reference for the Institute.
- Please bring materials for at least one course that you have taught or will teach in Spring 2015 or in the near future. These materials can include the syllabus, course schedule, rubrics , assignments, etc.
- If you like to work digitally, please bring your own device such as your personal laptop computer or tablet. KCELT has a limited number of PC laptops that you may use during the two days. If you would like us to set one aside for you, please email Jeremy Slagoski, Instructional Designer.
Click here to view the resource page
Participants will earn a "Passing Grade" (P) for the Technology Teaching and Learning Institute after they complete the following tasks:
- Attend both days.
- Complete the required final project.
- Share and present their final work.