May 13, 2017 | U.S. Cellular Center, 370 1st Ave E, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Please read all information very carefully. There is no rehearsal. This is the only information you will receive. If the ceremony is to be one of which you can be proud, you must know and do the things which follow.
1. Report to the US Cellular Center no later than 9:15 a.m. in your cap and gown “ready to go.” If for any reason, you might have trouble going up and down stairs, please stop by One Stop, 2nd Floor Kirkwood Hall or email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. We will make arrangements to accommodate you.
2. Valuables (purses, etc.) may be checked in before the ceremony. However, it may be more convenient to leave such items at home unless they’re essential. There are very limited facilities for checking them.
3. A professional photographer will be taking pictures of graduates as each receives his or her award. Your photo will be available to view at www.partypics.com. Click on the “Find My Pics” button and use GRAD2016 as the password. There is no charge unless you decide to purchase pictures. Your guests may bring cameras if they wish, and photo opportunities will be available following the ceremony. Please respect others and ask family members to refrain from blocking the flow of students to and from the stage.
1. When you check in, you will be given a card with your name on it. This card is VITAL to the ceremony and will be handed to a reader when you go on stage to receive your award. If you have a name that may be difficult to pronounce, please write the phonetic spelling on the card as you check in. Do not lose this card!
2. After receiving your card, staff members will assist you in lining up for the processional. Tip: tassels on caps are on the right side throughout the ceremony.
3. The “Order of Events” is printed in your commencement book and may be viewed on the graduation website.
4. Staff members will serve as marshals and will lead the processional and recessional. When you are ushered to a row, go to the end of the row or the next available seat in the row. All seats in each row must be filled. When in front of your seat, do not sit. Remain standing for the National Anthem. Be seated after the anthem.
5. Before the awarding of degrees, President Starcevich will ask the graduates to rise as he recommends them for graduation. Everyone do so. One of the marshals will lead the first row to the stage to receive their degrees. The other rows should then be seated until their row is asked to rise by one of the marshals.
6. To accept your diploma cover, go out your row to the RIGHT and go to the stage. Hand your card to the staff member presenting the graduates. As he/she reads your name, go to the center of the stage, accept your diploma cover in your LEFT hand and shake Dr. Starcevich’s hand with your RIGHT. Proceed across the stage and return to your row and seat and sit down.
7. After all graduates have received their diploma covers and returned to their seats, the band will perform a final song. The recessional will then begin. Stage dignitaries will recess first, followed by the faculty, and then graduates.
8. Staff marshals will lead you out in the recessional. You will return to the area where you were staged for the processional. When all graduates have returned there, the ceremony is over.
9. Please return the diploma cover at the collection sites prior to exiting the building.
DIPLOMAS AND DEGREES
At commencement, you will be given an empty diploma cover. Your degree, diploma or certificate for spring graduates will be mailed to you approximately 4-6 weeks after the ceremony. Diplomas for summer graduates will be mailed 3 weeks after the end of the term.
If you have questions about the ceremony, please contact Enrollment Services, 2nd Floor, Kirkwood Hall, prior to May 13, 2017.