KIRKWOOD COMMUNITY COLLEGE - LINN COUNTY REGIONAL CENTER
Pre-Professional Health Careers Academy
College Credit in High School
Find your passion.
Get a head start.
Experience college with rock star teachers.
Earn free college credit.
Rigorous academic preparation for today's pre-professional programs, including Kirkwood's new Exercise Science degree.
Successful academic preparation of required transfer level coursework in pre-professional health majors at many colleges and universities.
College Credits Earned: 14 college credits
This academy prepares students planning to pursue a pre-professional health program after high school (Pre-Chiropractic, Pre-Dental, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Med, etc.). It also prepares students for Exercise Science programs. If you’re planning to transfer to a four-year college or university after attending Kirkwood, specific transfer information can be found at www.kirkwood.edu/fouryeartransfer.
College Credit Courses
Courses subject to change based on college curriculum.
BIO-168 | Human Anatomy & Physiology I w/Lab | 4 college credits
Introduces the structure and function of the human body. Emphasizes organization at the cellular and tissue level and selected organ systems. Includes laboratory activities to reinforce current concepts, including computer simulations, dissection, and/or human specimens) . Credits: 4, Hours: (3/2/0/0), Prereq: One year of recent high school biology/chemistry with a grade of B or higher strongly recommended, or completion of Basic Biological Concepts or other college-level biology course; Arts & Sciences Elective Code: A
PEH-111 | Personal Wellness | 3 college credits
Emphasizes the importance of personal responsibility in health and wellness. Focuses on personal decision-making in cardiovascular fitness, muscular fitness, nutrition and weight control, as well as aging and health. Reinforces improvement and maintaining quality of life through health and healthy decisions. Credits: 3, Hours: (3/0/0/0), Arts & Sciences Elective Code: A
BIO-173 | Human Anatomy & Physiology II w/Lab | 4 college credits
Continues the study of human organ systems. Laboratory activities and dissection, which includes computer simulations and human specimens, correspond to structures and functions investigated. Credits: 4, Hours: (3/2/0/0), Prereq: BIO-168; Arts & Sciences Elective Code: A
BIO-151 | Nutrition | 3 college credits
Explores the relationship between sound nutrition and good health. Includes energy requirements, carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins, minerals, metabolism, physical exercise, dieting, weight problems, evaluation of nutritional claims, vegetarianism, and proper nutrition during pregnancy and lactation. Credits: 3, Hours: (3/0/0/0), Prereq: none; Coreq: none; Arts & Sciences Elective Code: A
Need to Know
1. One year of recent high school biology/chemistry with a grade of B or higher strongly recommended, or completion of Basic Biological Concepts or other college-level biology for this experience. Senior Year Plus guidelines apply to this experience.
2. Students receive credit from their high school and college credit from Kirkwood. The high school district pays for the college tuition.
3. The grade earned in this course is reflected on the student’s official college transcript. Students not planning to attend Kirkwood after high school graduation should plan to include this transcript as part of the application process to other colleges or universities. www.kirkwood.edu/transcript
4. As part of earning college credit for this academy, students must complete an online application to Kirkwood Community College, and must provide a social security number as part of the secure online college application process to create the official student record.
5. This experience requires a two-hour window on Fridays for lab. 1:00-3:00 pm.
How to Get Started
Talk to your parents and your school counselor.
Go to www.kirkwood.edu/hscreditapply.