Steps to a Job Shadow
Is a job shadow right for you?
Watch this video to find out. (If your school does not allow YouTube access, click here.)
1. Find your area of interest.
The Job Shadow Career Choices List offers suggested careers that you can shadow.
2. Fill out the application.
Work with your school guidance office to ensure that you have the most up-to-date process.
WLC accepts applications in September after presenting at each school. A second round of applications will be reviewed in November. Contact your high school guidance department for more information.
3. Receive Confirmation.
You will receive a text, an email and postal confirmation of your placement. If your parent/guardian has supplied us with an email address, he/she will receive email notification as well.
Upon notification, the following is required:
- Check your calendar and then call WLC to confirm that you plan to attend.
- Call 319-398-1040 (CR) or 319-887-3970 (IC).
- Plan ahead - know the route you'll take to your job shadow experience.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Prepare questions to ask.
- Check out the host's website.
- Be an ambassador for your school and for all high school students in the world of work.
- Arrive 15 minutes early.
4. Enjoy your job shadow!
This is an opportunity to immerse yourself in a field you're interested in pursuing.
5. Evaluate your experience.
After the job shadow, complete this online evaluation. We need to know how your experience was and we use your comments as a guide to continue improving it. Bonus: you'll be entered into a year-end drawing for prizes when you complete an evaluation.
Send a thank you card to your host. WLC encloses a blank postcard in your confirmation packet to use for this purpose. You may use that or use your own. Feel free to send it directly to your host, or give it to your high school guidance department to send to WLC.