ADDITIONAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Physical Therapist Assistant
The following information outlines specific steps to complete the admission process for the Physical Therapist program at Kirkwood Community College. These steps/requirements are in addition to Kirkwood's steps to become a student. These test scores are valid for three years:
- Complete a placement test or submit your ACT scores. These scores determine your placement into math and English classes.
- Applicants with an associate, bachelors or higher degree do not need to complete placement tests.
If minimum scores are not met, we advise you to take the Health Prep course, available through the Learning Services department, 2063 Cedar Hall, 319-398-5456.
After all of the admissions steps are completed, applications will be reviewed and students will be selected by the admissions committee for an interview.
Completion of the Test of Essential Academic Skills V for Allied Health
- Students must meet the minimum cut score of 60.0 percent or higher to be eligible for admission into the Physical Therapist Assistant program.
- Students may repeat the exam up to three times, but must schedule a meeting with the program director after a second unsuccessful attempt.
- Click the TEAS V - AH link on the program homepage to find out more about, and to register for the TEAS V - AH exam.
Students must complete prerequisite courses and earn a C or better. Prerequisite courses include:
- Anatomy and Physiology I
- Introduction to PTA
- Speech Course
Submit evidence of 24 hours of total observation at three different PT clinic sites (eight hours each at IP, OP and skilled sites) and submit answers to a questionnaire related to the observations. Clinicians will fill out a feedback form, which is marked as acceptable or unacceptable behavior.
Clinical Observation Evaluation
If the student has two-thirds of this come back marked unacceptable, then the student must meet with the program director, who will advise about professionalism and communication requirements within the profession. Please click for PTA Professional Requirements and Standards for Attire for Clinical Observations.
Where you decide to do your Physical Therapist observation is up to you. Use the following e-mail addresses for contacting St. Luke's Hospital or Mercy Hospital:
Letters of Recommendation
Submit two letters of recommendation using the required recommendation form. One of these recommendations must be from an academic reference. Letters must be submitted in a sealed envelope and sent to the Allied Health Department, 2164 Linn Hall.
In addition to the required prerequisite courses, it is recommended that students take the following courses if time allows:
- Anatomy and Physiology II
- Intro to Psychology
- Composition I
- Professionals in Health
- Humanities Elective