The Financial Aid Checklist is a tool for you to use to determine where you are in the financial aid process. You can login to EagleNet and choose “My Financial Aid Checklist” from the options. You will then see the page below. It has links to important financial aid information, such as the Activate My Loan page, the My Kirkwood Documents page, the available bookstore funds, and the My Bill by Term page.
When you scroll down the page, you will see the checklist.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible after January 1.
- Approximately three-five days after you submit your FAFSA online, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) will email your Student Aid Report (SAR). At this time, you can track your financial aid status at Kirkwood by logging into EagleNet and choosing “Financial Aid Checklist” from the Students menu.
- The One Stop office may request additional documents, such as tax forms. The second item on the checklist, “Complete Additional Requirements,” refers to missing information Kirkwood needs to complete your financial aid file. If the item is red, click on “My Kirkwood Documents” to determine what is missing. Use the “FA Documentation Help” link to understand what documentation is needed. Once the documentation has been received and processed, that checklist item will turn green. This can take three-five business days.
- If the third item on the list, “Financial Aid Awards Complete,” is green, you know your award has been created. If this item is still red, allow 24 hours for processing, as we award students every weekday.
- If your award contains loans and you want to accept them, you must click on “Activate My Loan.” This will change the checklist item “Stafford Loan Activated,” to green after processing. We strongly recommend you complete the Department of Education's Financial Counseling before activating loans.
- The next two checklist steps, “Complete Entrance Counseling” and “Sign Your Promissory Note,” are the final two parts of the loan activation process. You can complete these two steps at www.studentloans.gov. These steps take two to three days to process, so be sure to allow time for this item to change to green after you’ve completed these steps.
- Once funds are released to your account to pay tuition, “Funds Made Available” will turn green. Choose the “My Bill by Term” link to view the disbursement. You can also view the Important Dates Calendar at www.kirkwood.edu/onestop.
- If an amount remains after tuition and books are paid for, the balance of financial aid will be mailed to your local address when your attendance is verified. Please note that balance checks must be cashed within 90 days of issue. For a more convenient option, we recommend that you sign up for direct deposit via EagleNet by clicking on the “Direct Deposit Information – Student Accounts” link from the students menu.