Kirkwood Community College is committed to providing its students, employees, partners and visitors safe and healthy environments. Tobacco is a proven health and safety hazard, both to the tobacco user and non-smokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke. In addition to causing direct health hazards, smoking contributes to institutional costs in other ways, including fire damage, cleaning and maintenance costs, and costs associated with employee absenteeism, health care, and medical insurance.
Kirkwood Community College is committed to:
·Supporting tobacco free campuses at all locations and partnering sites.
·Serving as a role model in the community by promoting a tobacco-free environment.
·Assisting both students and employees who wish to quit using tobacco products.
Reason for Policy
In compliance with the state of Iowa’s Smoke Free Air Act, as of July 1, 2008, all Kirkwood Campus locations and Kirkwood property are smoke free. All locations and properties are also tobacco free.
Tobacco use, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes & smokeless tobacco is prohibited. The use of e-cigarettes is also prohibited. Smoking is defined as the burning or inhaling of tobacco or other matter that can be smoked or inhaled, or the inhaling of smoke or vapor from an electronic smoking device.
The use of tobacco products, which includes smokeless and smoking tobaccos, is prohibited:
·In all areas within Kirkwood Community College buildings.
·On all property owned, leased, or occupied by Kirkwood Community College.
·In all vehicles owned, leased, or rented by the school.
This policy applies to all employees, students, partners and visitors.
Persons willfully refusing to comply will be considered in violation of Kirkwood Community College policy and subject to disciplinary actions.
All persons in non-compliance of the Smoke Free Air Act and Kirkwood’s policy will be considered in violation and subject to disciplinary action.
1. No tobacco products shall be sold or distributed on Kirkwood Community College property.
2. Campus organizations are prohibited from accepting money or gifts from tobacco companies that promote use of their products.
3. Tobacco advertisements are prohibited in college-run publications and at any athletic or other campus events.
4. Signs stating that the entire campus is tobacco free are prominently posted at all campus and building entrances and other conspicuous places. All ash receptacles will be removed from the school grounds.
5. People who wish to consider employment at Kirkwood Community College will be notified of its tobacco-free environment through information provided on the school’s website, job advertisements, and job applications.
6. Employees will be advised of the provisions of this policy during new hire orientation. Supervisors will be responsible for notifying their employees of the provisions of this policy and assisting with enforcement.
7. This policy will be communicated to the public through signs, announcements, newsletters, media events, advertisements, the school website, and job postings.
8. Employees may attend tobacco cessation counseling. Announcements regarding cessation counseling and any incentives offered by administration will be communicated through the Tempo e-newsletter and posted announcements. The state and national tobacco quit lines will be promoted as well.
9. Employees or students smoking or using tobacco products on Kirkwood Community College property are in violation of the stated policy and subject to disciplinary action as outlined in the employee handbook or student handbook as applicable.
10. Employees and students will be educated on the tobacco policy and opportunities for cessation counseling throughout the disciplinary action process.
11. All Kirkwood Community College employees are authorized and encouraged to communicate and reinforce this policy with courtesy and diplomacy to any person whom they see violating the policy. Individuals who refuse to comply with the policy should then be reported to security for immediate follow-up action.
12. Students, partners and visitors will be notified of this policy prior to arrival whenever possible.