Academic advising helps students to accomplish these objectives:
- Explore and clarify educational, career and life goals
- Create short and long-term plans to accomplish these goals
- Select a major that balances goals, interests and abilities
- Understand requirements of the major and the college
- Identify and register for appropriate courses
In order for these goals to be achieved, students must fulfill their own responsibilities in the advising process by taking these steps:
- Make and keep appointments with advisor well before registration begins. Make use of the advisor's knowledge - it is a valuable resource. Stay up-to-date about college policies, procedures and requirements using the current web-based registration information.
- Come to all advising sessions and appointments prepared: review registration information and the course schedule. Make a tentative list of courses and alternates for next semester
- Prepare a list of any questions about the degree plan and requirements.
To arrange an appointment for assistance with your academic planning, contact Lisa Folken at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jane Lawrence at email@example.com or by phone at 319-465-2302.