Link to Kirkwood Community College

If you need to move out of your rental apartment before the end of your lease, you might consider subleasing your apartment.

What is subleasing?

     Subleasing is renting your place to another person for a period of time within your lease. Your right to sublease is governed by your lease.  The new lease holder takes over the lease including the lease end date, price of rent per month, condition of the apartmnet, and roommate(s) assigned to rental unit.


Subleasing process 

     1- Contact your property management office knows you are subleasing.  There may be paperwork you will need to fill out at their office.  Check with your landlord because sometimes a landlord may charge a fee for subleasing.

    2- Submit your sublease online by completing the sublease form online on the Kirkwood Housing website.    Put in correct information and your most reliable contact information for interested students to reach you.  Include any discounts or incentives to help your chances of finding a renter.

     3- Be available by answering your phone when callers contact you about the unit and to show the apartment whenever possible.  It's best to keep in contact with your roommate(s) so the interested student can meet them, too.

     4- Once you have a student interested, they will need to fill out an application with the property managemetn office.  These can be found on the Kirkwood Housing website or by contacting the office directly.  

    5 - When the applicant is approved, you will follow-up with your Property Management office with further instructions on moving out.    


Why it's important to stay in contact with your Landlord

     - Tenants need to have a $0 balance with the property management in order to qualify to sublease.

     - Find a sublease who is the same sex as your roommate, most property management companies will not allow coed living.  

     - As the tenant moving out, check to see if your security deposit is transfered to the new tenant or if you will be giving this money up.  


Subleasing Resources

     - There are several ways to find someone to fill your apartment.  Your best resource will be the Kirkwood Housing website to advertise your opening.  Spread the word by telling your friends and classmates because they may know a student looking for an apartment.  You can also put a message on the "Kirkwood Roommate Finder" Facebook group or use websites like