Kirkwood Campus Security Officers patrol the campus, respond to emergencies and other calls for service, conduct traffic checks on campus, walk thru the campus buildings, staff special events, and facilitate a variety of safety and security presentations.
Kirkwood campus security officers may ask persons for identification to determine whether individuals have legitimate business at the College. Campus security officers have the authority to investigate minor offenses involving rule violations and to make a referral to the appropriate area of the College. Campus security Officers do not posses arrest powers and do not carry firearms. Criminal incidents are referred to the local police who have jurisdiction on campus.
Campus Security works closely with local, state, and federal police agencies. Through coordination with local law enforcement agencies, criminal activity engaged in by students at off campus locations in monitored and recorded. This information is referred to the appropriate area of the College.
- 24-hour, 365 days a year campus services.
- Enforcement of college, as well as local, state, & federal laws and regulations.
- Investigative reports and criminal investigation.
- Escorts for students, faculty, and staff.
- Unlocking and jump starting of vehicles on campus.
- Reporting and resolution of environmental safety issues, exterior lighting, signage and other physical hazards.
- Monitoring and enforcement of driving regulations.
- Blue Light Emergency Phones located throughout the main campus. http://www.kirkwood.edu/maincampus
- Safety and security presentations, including topics such as personal safety and alcohol and drug abuse.
It is a good idea to use an escort service, particularly when walking on campus during hours of darkness. Security Escorts can be reached by calling (319)398-5561 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday or calling (319)389-1774 after hours and on weekends.
Firearms or weapons of any kind are not allowed on campus. Weapons come in many forms; the following items are examples of items that are prohibited on campus:
- Pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind (this includes air soft, paintball, BB or pellet guns, potato guns and other such homemade devices)
- Knife having a blade of two or more inches
- Straight-edge razor or razor blade
- Spring stick
- Bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon
- Nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken
- Throwing star or oriental dart
- Stun gun or taser
The possession of a valid firearms permit or valid license to carry does not exempt students or staff from the provisions of this policy.