Lead students on a tour of your facilities, and show them the various career opportunities available across all aspects of your business.
Join the Ripple!
Suggestions for a Successful Worksite Tour
Part 1: The Tour
- Share your typical day on the job.
- Show where different people work in your business and what they do.
- Point out the various careers available within your company, i.e. administrative, accounting, sales, manufacturing, technical, human resources, etc and the education they require.
- Stress the importance of employability skills such as attire, attendance, punctuality and workplace manners.
- Discuss what you look for in a potential employee.
Part 2: Talk to the Team
- Have other members of your work team meet briefly with the students.
- Discuss your background and why your chose your career.
- Address what people in your office enjoy most and least about their careers.
- Explain what education and training is required to get started and to continue to develop professionally in your specific career.
Part 3: Q&A
Click here for tour tips to help you prepare for student questions.
Remember: Students are just now beginning to think about their futures and are looking at your profession as a possible career choice. Students receive guidelines and suggested questions for use during the tours, but may still feel overwhelmed. Please do not be offended if they are quiet! Sometimes rewarding students for asking questions with candy or other small prizes helps encourage discussion.