Youíre moving along in life and then BAM!, something happens that gets you off track. Maybe itís problems at home. Maybe itís a relationship that turned bad. Maybe you just donít have enough money to pay for school and books and child care. Whatever it is, thereís a way to a way to get back on track. Itís called Project START.
Project START (Supported Training and Retraining) offers academic, personal and financial help so you can get your degree, get out there and get a great job. Hereís how:
- Learn how to improve your study skills and score higher on tests
- Talk with your START counselor about how classes are going and how you can do even better
- Talk with your START counselor about whatís bugging you and figure out Ė together Ė how to work through it
- Get the encouragement you need to keep moving forward
- Get the money you need for tuition, books, transportation, childcare and other school-related expenses
- Find other money to help you go to school and stay in school
To be part of Project START, you must:
- have a high school diploma or GED
- meet Federal guidelines for PELL grant
- not have a Bachelors degree
- be a U.S. citizen or national
- be enrolled in a vocational program
- be up-to-date on your student loan payments, if you have a loan
- have and maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher each semester to start and continue in the program
- turn in a weekly attendance sheet signed by your instructors
If you meet these requirements and want an application, click here to print an application or come to the START office in 115 Iowa Hall on the main campus in Cedar Rapids. You can also reach us at 319-398-4934 or 1-800-332-2055 ext. 4934.
What happens after you fill out and return the application?
- You meet with a START counselor.
- You talk with the counselor about whatís going on in your life and how Project START could benefit you.
- The counselor writes a summary of what you talk about and gives it to the selection committee.
If youíre accepted, you begin the program the very next semester.
Project START Budget Meetings
There are no Project START budget meetings scheduled at this time.