Link to Kirkwood Community College

New Student Questions
Returning Student Questions
Transfer Student Questions

New Student Questions


How can I get adjusted to college life?
There’s a great three-credit-hour class called College 101 that covers how to make the change from high school to college, and how to excel once you’re here.

How many credits do I need to take to be a full-time student?
You must take 12 or more credits each semester to be considered a full-time student. Anything less than 12 credit hours is considered part-time, except during the summer semester when nine credit hours is full-time.

I found some classes that look interesting. How can I find out what they’re about?
Check out "Course Descriptions" in the back of the Kirkwood College Credit Catalog, or in our online catalog.

What are the requirements for getting an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree?
Take a look at “Arts & Sciences Degrees" in the Kirkwood College Credit Catalog, or check out the requirements online.

Attending class on Kirkwood’s main campus is not convenient for me. What are my options?
If you can’t make it to our main campus in Cedar Rapids, you can attend class at any of our 10 off-campus sites throughout the seven-county area that we serve. Other options include taking classes through Distance Learning, including internet or packet classes, the Iowa Communication Network (ICN) and the Kirkwood Telecommunication System (KTS).

How do I drop a class?
If you want to drop a class, log in to EagleNet and click the Register/Drop Sections link under the EagleNet for Students menu.

Can I get a tutor if I need some help with a class?
Yes. Free tutoring is available to every student taking a class for credit. Stop by 2071 Cedar Hall or call 319-398-5425 to speak to someone in Learning Services.

What are PA classes?
Personal Achievement classes help you get up to speed in areas that you may be having trouble with. There are PA classes in writing, mathematics, pre-algebra and basic study skills. There’s also a 12-credit college prep block called Basic Writing and How to Be Successful in College. Find out more by contacting Learning Services.

Returning Students FAQs

As a returning student, how can I register for classes?
You can register online through Eaglenet , use Kirkwood’s phone-in registration system (319-398-5603) or register in person at the One Stop office, 216 Kirkwood Hall.

If you’re an Arts and Sciences student and you want to register in person but don’t know which classes to take, go to the Advising and Transfer Center in 108 Iowa Hall on the main campus in Cedar Rapids. If you’re an Applied Science and Technology or Career Option student, go to the office of the appropriate department for your major.

How do I change my major?
Go to and complete the information needed.

How do I change my advisor?
Contact the Advising and Transfer Center at 319-398-5540.

If I drop a class, will if affect my financial aid?
It might. Check with the One Stop office before you drop a class.

What do I need to do to graduate?
Meet all the degree requirements for your program, then apply online by logging into EagleNet and filling out an on-line graduation application. 

What’s the minimum GPA required to get a degree from Kirkwood?
Kirkwood requires a minimum GPA of 2.0. If you’re transferring to another college or university, your GPA may need to be higher to be admitted. Be sure to check with the Admissions office at that college or university.

How do I have transcripts sent to another college?
Stop by the One Stop office and fill out a Transcript Request form, or fill out the form online.

Transfer Student FAQs 


How many Kirkwood credits will transfer to a four-year college or university?
Check with the Advising and Transfer Center for more details.

How will my credits transfer from another college or university to Kirkwood?
Visit the Transfer Students section or read about the process in the Academic Policies section of the Student Handbook. Scroll down until you see "Transfer of Credits from Other Institutions."

What grade point average do I need for my major?
To receive an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from Kirkwood, you must have a minimum GPA of 2.00. GPA requirements in your major vary, depending on which college or university you’re transferring to. Contact the Advising and Transfer Center for specific college or university GPA requirements.