Kirkwood offers a variety of scholarships to qualified students. The following suggestions will make sure you are considered for all of the awards for which you qualify.
- Complete a Kirkwood application for admission. You must have a current application on file to attend Kirkwood to be considered for a scholarship.
- Fill out the scholarship application completely. Missing information may disqualify you for awards.
- You may qualify for more than one scholarship. However, you should only fill out one application. Your information will be carefully matched with all scholarships for which you may qualify, so there is no need to submit multiple applications.
- Be sure to include all information that demonstrates how you match the criteria for the scholarship(s) of interest.
- Provide a summary (a maximum of 300 words) providing your goals statement and including any special circumstances you have overcome or still face. Be sure that you review additional requirements (e.g., letters of recommendation or transcripts), and why you believe you deserve a scholarship. Include a brief personal outline of your background in the summary. In addition, you should include recent honors or awards received (academic, professional, athletic, civic, etc.), and involvement in community groups/organizations.
- If you are currently in high school or graduated from high school in the last five years, provide a copy of your official high school transcript. If you graduated more than five years ago, no transcript is required.
- If you transferred to Kirkwood from another college or university, please supply your academic transcript from that institution.
- If you completed a GED or received a high school diploma through an alternative program, please submit proof of completion along with your scholarship application.
No transcript is required if you have already attended Kirkwood for six credit hours or more.
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for the scholarship awards that are based on documented financial need. Upon completion of the FAFSA, send it to the address as indicated. (This is the form you fill out to see if you qualify for grants and/or loans.) To be considered for first-round, need-based scholarships, this form must be received by March 15. You can also file online at www.fafsa.ed.gov/.
Several scholarships are based on financial need. The scholarship selection committee will take into consideration students' financial need as documented by the FAFSA. Any scholarships that are based on financial need will have a listed criterion of: Must demonstrate financial need.
- International students qualify for scholarships and should submit a letter from Kirkwood’s International Studies office in lieu of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
Applications for awards open October 1. All Kirkwood scholarship application materials must be postmarked or hand-delivered to the scholarship office by March 15. Applications received after this deadline are considered for select second-round funding opportunities (e.g., re-opened or newly created scholarships).
Submit all required materials and application to:
Kirkwood Community College
PO Box 2068
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406-2068
Endowed scholarships are available each year. Annual scholarships are awarded each year the donor renews the gift. The number of scholarships offered, as well as the elements in each, may vary from year to year.
Full and Part-time Attendance
Certain scholarships are based on full-time enrollment (12 or more credit hours per semester). Scholarships requiring full-time attendance are note as such within the scholarship's criteria. All recipients must attend a minimum of six credit hours per semester to receive an award.
Thank You Letters
Scholarship recipients must thank the donors who have made the scholarship(s) possible. Scholarship funds will not be disbursed until recipient thank you letters are received.
Thank you letters must be received at the Kirkwood Resource Development office by the date shown on the award letter. The Resource Development staff will forward the thank you letters to the donors. You may wish to include the following points in your thank you note:
- Express your appreciation for the award.
- Explain how the scholarship will assist you.
- Share your educational and career goals.
To apply online, click here to access the electronic scholarship application.