Medical Assisting Program Compliance Process:
The Medical Assisting Program compliance process is comprised of variables in three general areas. These areas are Background Checks, Health Records and Immunizations and Additional Compliance Certifcations. All three areas of the Compliance process are now housed through an online vendor called Certified Background.
Information to Know Before You Start Compliance Process
1. DO NOT begin the Background Check Process until after your Technical Program
Orientation has been completed.
2. DO NOT set up your Certified Background Account until after your Technical
Program Orientation has been completed.
3. Research the information regarding your Health Immunizations Records and
Additional Compliance Certificates. These items you can begin to complete and
start to gather prior to your Technical Program Orientation.
The following information is a valuable source of information for you throughout your time in the Medical Assisting program. You will want to familiarize yourself with the content on this website and use it as your first resource when looking for answers to your clinical compliance questions. What follows is very detailed information and instructions on how and when compliance requirements need to be met for the Medical Assisting Program.
Summary of Initial Due Dates:
Week 12 of the semester you are enrolled in Administrative Medical Office Procedures (MAP-123).
(Week 10 for the summer MAP-123 course).
*Students may not register for 2nd semester courses until compliance items are completed*
Allied Health Compliance Orientation
Physical and Immunizations
Prior to the start of Med Lab (MAP-210) and Clinical Procedures (MAP-312)
Age Appropriate Care
Mandatory Reporter Training
Continued compliance on immunizations as due.
The 10th week of Med lab (MAP-210)
and Clinical Procedures (MAP-312)
CPR for the Healthcare Provider
Continued compliance on immunizations as due.
Yearly OSHA renewal
** It is the studentís responsibility to monitor their compliance records and keep them current. Failure to do so can result in a student not being allowed to participate in clinical experiences.
Step #1: Creation of a Certified Background Account:
All students will create and pay for their compliance process through Certified Background's online process. You will need to visit www.certifiedbackground.com
to create your account. Students must use the following information when creating their account based on the standard process determined by the Allied Health Department at Kirkwood Community College. The account creation process is standard for all students so we can assist with questions throughout the process.
- Students visit www.certifiedbackground.com to order their program specific package and create their account. Please click the instruction form link on how to create an account with Certified Background.
- Students must use their KIRKWOOD STUDENT EMAIL for the email when creating of their accounts.
- Students must use their k# with a lowercase k for the password when creating their accounts.
- Students must submit payment for these accounts at the time they are set up. Please have a debit or credit card avaliable when you sit down to create your account.
Step #2: Background Check Process
Students are required to go through the completion of the background check as part of the Medical Assisting Program. Specific steps for the completion of the background check are listed below. Once a student has created their account with Certified Background, they will have 72 hours to complete the background check process. It is important to complete the background check process within 72 hours or you will be timed out and will have to redo the process at an additional cost to you as a student.
- Once you have your account created, you will download the Background Check forms which must completef for the Certified Background check process. Please remember that these forms must be completed and returned to Certified Background based on guidelines established. Information on how to return these forms to Certified Background will be provided in the information you download.
- A SAMPLE copy of these forms are here for your review. Students must submit the Child Abuse Registration form and the Adult Abuse Registration form. DO NOT USE THEM AS DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT. You will receive them in an email after you complete your account.
- Instructions on how to submit these completed forms are housed on the instruction forms you receive in your download. It is important that these forms are submitted to Certified Background via FAX or EMAIL provided on the Coversheet within 72 hours of starting the process. We are aware that the forms say return within five business days, but WE ARE TELLING YOU 72 HOURS!
Step #3: Health Records and Immunizations
Students are required to complete a program physical and provide documentation that several immunizations have been completed prior to going to clinical rotations. Health Physicals and Immunization records must be submitted to Certified Background and will be housed in your student account. The following information will show you want forms need to be completed and how to submit them to Certified Background for completion.
- Students must provide three things to complete the Health Records and Immunizations varibles for the compliance process. The General Health Physical, Kirkwood Immunization Record and Privacy/Confidentiality Statement must be completed on the form provided in the link above.
- Please visit the following link to download, print and complete these forms: Kirkwood Health Records.
- All records on the form must contain the following information: Student's name, student's K#, Students Program, Signature from the health care provider, Clinical Contact Information (address, phone number etc) and Dates the variables were completed. Forms missing one or all of these will not be accepted by Certified Background.
- The following link shows you how to meet the requirments for the immunization items on the checklist: ALHS Immunization Chart
- Documents are sumbitted to Certified Background via scan and upload, fax or mail for each variable to Certified Background. If you fax or mail, you must print an independent coversheet for each variable.
- All forms must contain your Name, K# and the Program that you are in.
- The Fax or Mail Coversheets are housed in the upper-right hand corner of your Document Center portion of your Certified Profile account.
Step #4: Additional Compliance Certifications
Students are required to complete additional compliance certifications based on the program requirements. The following varialbes are part of the Dental Assisting program and must be completed and submitted to Certified Background to complete the process.
Step #5: Print Clinical Compliance Documentation for Clinical Coordinators
1. Open up and Log into your Certified Background Account using your Kirkwood Student email address and k# as your email and password.
2. On your student profile page, you need to VIEW your Background Check results page.
3. On your Background Check results page, you will find a SEAL in the upper-right hand corner of the page. You will see an ALPHA-NUMERIC 6-digit code. You need to copy this 6-digit code.
4. You need to LOG OUT of Certified Background at this point.
6. PASTE the ALPHA-NUMERIC 6-digit code into the area where you would enter your email address.
7. You will then need to enter the last 4 of your Social Security number and click submit. Here you will see a summary of all of your COMPLIANCE ITEMS.
8. You can print this page. The printing of these work better when using FIREFOX and/or CHROME compared to Internet Explorer.
Questions--Follow these Steps
- Read the Compliance Page again and see if there is anything you missed.
- Contact Certified Background by locating the CONTACT US link in your Certified Profile Account or use the Instant Messenger feature.
- Contact the Allied Health Department at 319-398-5566 or 2164 Linn Hall.