Link to Kirkwood Community College
disabilities accomodations1 disabilities accomodations 2

Accomodation Services, as part of the Learning Services department, offers support for students with disabilities. These services are available to qualified students at no cost. Using a team approach to assist students, staff on main campus and all county sites work with students to determine reasonable accommodations and ensure that instructors are aware of accommodations needed.

Kirkwood Community College has established policies and procedures to implement provisions of the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act. These policies and procedures are used to determine reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities to meet academic and technical standards required for their educational program.

For more information, stop by 2063 Cedar Hall or call 319-398-5574 (TTY 398-5451).

What is Reasonable Accommodation?
Examples of reasonable accommodation include extra time with tutors, sign language interpreter services, textbooks on CD's, alternative testing, taped lectures and use of assistive technology.

The need to plan ahead for requesting accommodations is very important! In most cases, this means accommodations should be arranged before the start of the semester.

Is Receiving Reasonable Accommodations Automatic?
Not necessarily. The student requesting accommodations must complete an information form and provide documentation of her/his disability. Reasonable accommodations are then determined based on individual needs of the student.

How Does a Student Apply for Accommodations?
A student who needs accommodations because of a disability should take the following steps:

  1. Complete an Accommodations Request form by following this link: online accommodation request form.
  2. Contact the Learning Services office to speak to or make an appointment with an Accommodation Specialist to learn the next steps toward receiving the accommodations you need. Students may be asked to bring a copy of documentations describing their disabling condition and the effect it has on his or her learning. Call 319-398-5574 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  3. Once the need for accommodations has been determined, each student will be given the name of a staff person at the campus location where the student will attend classes who will work with the student and his or her instructors to develop an accommodation plan. It is the student's responsibilit to make contact with the staff person and schedule a meeting to write an accommodation plan. 

Can an Accommodation Plan be Changed?
Yes, accommodation plans are rewritten every semester and can be changed during a semester, if a student's needs change during the course of the semester.