Students who have taken classes before

If you have taken classes before, come to one of the registration sessions or in Cedar rapids see Sharon in the English office or in Iowa City see Olga or Richard.

New Students

if you are a NEW student, before you can register, you need to do this:

  • Apply online to be a student at Kirkwood
  • Take the ESL placement test. This test is free, and you do not need an appointment. It can be taken in Cedar Hall at the Cedar Rapids campus, or at the Iowa City campus.
  • Register and Come to a New Student Orientation - Please bring your test scores!
  • If you missed the last orientation before the start of the semester you register for:
    • you need to make an appointment with the financial aid office and show proof that you have met with them
    • you need to schedule an Oral Proficency Interview (OPI)
  • If you plan to apply for financial aid, do so as soon as possible. Go to this website:


If you have questions, call Sharon (319) 398-4998 on the Cedar Rapids campus, or Olga (319) 887-3952 or Richard (319) 887-3644 on the Iowa City campus. Email