How to Apply for Financial Aid
To apply for financial aid, follow these steps:
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible after January 1.
- Approximately three- to five days after you submit your FAFSA online, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) will email your Student Aid Report (SAR). At this time, you can track your financial aid status at Kirkwood by logging into EagleNet and choosing "Financial Aid Checklist" from the Students menu.
- The One Stop office may request additional documents, such as tax forms. The second item on the checklist, "Complete Additional Requirements," refers to missing information Kirkwood needs to complete your financial aid file. If the item is red, click on "My Kirkwood Documents" to determine what is missing. Use the "FA Documentation Help" link to understand what documentation is needed. Once the documentation has been received and processed, that checklist item will turn green.
- If the third item on the list, "Financial Aid Awards Complete," is green, you know your award has been created. If this item is still red, allow 24 hours for processing, as we award students every weekday.
- If your award contains loans and you want to accept them, you must click on "Activate My Loan." This will change the checklist item "Stafford Loan Activated," to green after processing.
- The next two checklist steps, "Complete Entrance Counseling" and "Sign Your Promissory Note," are the final two parts of the loan activation process. You can complete these two steps at www.studentloans.gov. These steps take two to three days to process, so be sure to allow time for this item to change to green after you've completed these steps.
- Once funds are released to your account to pay tuition, "Funds Made Available" will turn green. Choose the "My Bill by Term" link to view the disbursement. You can also view the Important Dates Calendar at www.kirkwood.edu/onestop.